Balai Directive

Balai Directive

Animals, semen and embryos covered by Balai

You must take in account this Directive if you’re moving the following animals:

  • more than 5 pets per traveller in your party – or any pets that can’t be joined by their owner within 5 days
  • dogs, cats and ferrets that are being rehomed or don’t meet national pet travel rules
  • simian primates, monkeys and apes
  • prosimian primates, eg lemurs, bushbabies, lorises, aye ayes and tarsiers
  • ungulates (hooved animals) that aren’t farm animals, eg llamas, alpacas, antelopes, camels, wild pigs, tapirs, rhinos, giraffes, elephants, hippos
  • captive birds and poultry for exhibitions, shows, and contests which aren’t covered by poultry or bird legislation
  • honey bees
  • jackals, foxes, wolves, African wild dogs, hyaenas
  • bears, eg polar, black, brown, grizzly, pandas or giant pandas
  • raccoons, coatis, and other new world procyonids
  • otters, martens, polecats, badgers, skunks, wolverines
  • non-domestic cats like pumas, cheetahs, lions, tigers and leopards
  • bats, eg vampire bats, flying foxes, fruit bats, gliders
  • flying lemurs and flying squirrels
  • marsupials, eg koalas, kangaroos, wombats or wallabies
  • possums, bandicoots, bilbys, quolls and Tasmanian devils
  • anteaters, sloths, armadillos
  • shrews, moles and hedgehogs
  • rabbits and hares
  • rodents, eg gophers, squirrels, mice, rats, hamsters, voles, beavers, gerbils

You must also follow this guidance if you’re moving semen or embryos that aren’t bovine or porcine.

You can’t import any live ungulates (horses, cattle, giraffes, camels, deer, hippopotamuses) or whales and dolphins into Member States from non-EU countries, unless you have an agreement.

In the United Kingdmo, Institute and centres which import and export certain animals under Council Directive 92/65/EEC (Balai Directive) must be approved by the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA). This agency approve and inspect these premises on behalf of Defra, Scottish Government and Welsh Government.

Importing, exporting and EU trade

If you move animals from an EU country to a non-EU country, this is considered exporting.

If you move animals into an EU country from a non-EU country, this is considered importing.

If you move animals from one EU country to another, this is considered EU trade.

Get an animal health certificate

You must have an animal health certificate to trade any live animals, birds, bees, plus the ova, embryos and semen of these animals.

You must make sure that animals or germinal product travel with their health certificates.

You can find template certificates in Annex E of the Balai Directive, part 1, 2 and 3.

Approval and registration

Whether you need to get your holding registered or approved depends on the animals you want to move and the sites you want to send them to or receive them from.

Animals that registered holdings can trade

If your holding is registered, you can only trade the following animals, and only with registered or unregistered holdings in EU member states:

  • ungulates that aren’t livestock
  • birds that aren’t commercial poultry
  • rabbits and hares
  • dogs, cats and ferrets that aren’t pets

You can’t trade with approved holdings.

Moving animals from registered or unregistered holdings

Sending animals

If your holding is registered, you can send animals from the UK to either a registered or unregistered holding in another EU member state.

You can also send them to an approved holding, unless they are carnivores or primates.

Receiving animals

If your holding is registered, you can bring animals into the UK from another registered holding in an EU member state.

They’ll tell you the requirements you need to follow – these depend on the animal and the country of origin but can include:

  • testing for avian influenza, tuberculosis, equine infectious anaemia, brucella or other diseases
  • putting the animal into rabies quarantine

If your holding is unregistered, you can only bring in the following animals from registered or approved holdings in EU member states:

  • ungulates
  • birds
  • rabbits and hares
  • cats, dogs and ferrets that aren’t pets

Unregistered holdings can’t trade in carnivores or primates.

Animals that approved holdings can trade

If your holding is approved, you can trade carnivores or primates ,semen or embryos as well as the rest of the animals covered by Balai.

Approved holdings must only take in animals from other approved holdings.

Moving, importing and exporting live animals and animal products

There is information here on the following:

  • moving live animals and animal products as part of EU trade;
  • importing live animals and animal products from non-EU countries;
  • exporting live animals and animal products to non-EU countries.

Leave a Comment