Lawi, the Encyclopedia of Law organisation, has set out to bring the legal resources to legal practitioners across Europe and beyond. As a dynamic, small and flexible organisation, it focuses on dialogue with the users of the service, and responds to its best ability to their needs and wishes.
EU Case Law
Lawi Europe will deploy in several countries (including the UK, Spain, BENELUX and the Baltic States) the first premium information service to offer the most important national and European case law linked to the European Union’s commercial areas of law, without need for multilingual and multinational legal skills. An easy to use service holding unique case digests allows legal professionals to easily use foreign cases relevant to their work or study.
Be inspired by authoritative EU law practice :
- Unique online access to important cases from 25 countries
- Decisive Market Definitions of concentration control decisions by Competition Authorities
- High quality summaries in English and authentic full texts
Law reports, keeping you informed
In collaboration with leading law firms and legal correspondents across Europe, Lawi Europe is Europe’s premier Internet service offering national and European court cases linked to EU law. The initial offering covers intellectual property law, labour law, competition law and company law. Its cases cover the Supreme Courts of the EU Member States and the EFTA Member States. The European Court of Justice, the European Court of First Instance and the EFTA Court of Justice will follow suit.
The current coverage of 14 countries will during the next 12 months be expanded to cover all the 27 EU Member States plus the 4 EFTA States. 11 additional areas of law will be added.
Lawi Europe identifies and selects only cases with cross-border relevance, i.e. linked to EU law. For each selected case it offers a case digest in English, including headnote and summary. All are coherently produced to the point, allowing the user to quickly and easily capture the essence regardless of prior knowledge about the jurisdiction or language.
Lawi Europe is a practical tool for legal professionals in need of solutions to national and international legal issues connected to EU law. As such it is essential for judges and court staff, barristers and solicitors, in-house legal counsel, public prosecutors, policy makers, legal information managers, paralegals, legal researchers, academics and law students. Free trials are offered.
Lawi Europe is the first premium information service to offer access to the most important national and European case law linked to the European Union’s commercial areas of law, without need for extensive multilingual and multinational legal skills. An easy to use service holding unique case digests allows legal professionals to easily use foreign cases relevant to their work or study.
Lawi is aimed as a practical tool for legal professionals in need of solutions to national and international legal issues connected to EU law. As such it is essential for judges and court staff, barristers and solicitors, in-house legal counsel, public prosecutors, policy makers, legal information managers, paralegals, legal researchers, academics and law students.
Unique case digests
For each selected case we offer a case digest in English, including headnote, summary and other metadata relevant to your practice. Our headnotes and summaries are highlighting the case’s facts, legal issue, holding and decision, and result. All are coherently produced to the point, allowing you quickly and easily to capture the essence regardless of your knowledge about the jurisdiction or language.
You can also read the full text of the case, the headnote and summary in the native language of the case, the latter two as done by Lawi’ legal correspondents within the jurisdiction.
Lawi’ case digests are produced by legal professionals for legal professionals. We use national legal expertise to bring you the essence of the case without losing out on its richness.
User friendly and personalised
Caselex has been built with ease of use in mind. Your productivity and knowledge capture will remain at its peak through the following functionalities:
- Knowledge explorer allowing you to search and browse for case law relevant to your work or study.
- Search free text of case digests and browse for cases by country, EU law, and subject, or a mix of these options.
- Store relevant cases in your search results in your personalised archive.
- Create and manage your own archive folders.
- Add personal notes to cases.
- Add your own labels for easy identification and knowledge accumulation.
- Use our case law alerter to receive news based on your own criteria.
- Order Translations On Demand of full case into English (case digest is by default in English).
- German, French, Italian and Spanish will are added as target languages.
- Increase the productivity and knowledge accumulation through “My Lawi”, being your personal homepage where you easily can find the latest news of interest to you and get easy access to own knowledge stored within Lawi.
Lawi is a networked operation calling for legal expertise and translations covering 31 European countries. Our aim is to maintain Europe’s best network of legal experts, country correspondents and legal translators.
Legal Expert Group
Lawi seeks top notch legal experts/law firms to join its Legal Expert Group. Looking at the national experts who have joined the Legal Expert Group or expressed interest, they are:
- regarded as leading national expertise within Lawi’ areas of law;
- deeply respected for their knowledge about EU law;
- highly motivated to support the Lawi venture.
Based on the service requirements, the tasks to be carried out by the Members of the Legal Expert Group can be divided into two parts:
- Strategic advice to the Lawi Project on content and features
- Operational support on the national cases and the strategically important transposition of EU provisions into national provisions
Lawi is continuously reinforcing its network of Country Correspondents. Interested candidates should contact us.
Scope of work
The Country Correspondents of Lawi undertake the following tasks:
- Identifying and selecting relevant national case law of the relevant Supreme and High Courts next to the Court(s) of Appeal in the country agreed upon (hereafter the Courts) from year 2000 till date.
- Continuous monitoring of new case law of the Courts in order to select without delay relevant cases for the Lawi database.
- Analysis of collected cases and subsequent authoring of headnotes, summaries and metadata based on the Lawi editorial guidelines. Do note that headnotes and summaries are typically around ½-1 A4 page in total.
- Support Lawi in mapping and maintaining how European Directives addressed in its cases have been transposed into national law of the respective country.
- Participate in editorial telephone conferences.
The focus will be on 14 commercial areas of law related to EU law, such as IP law, Competition law, Company law, Labour law, ICT law, Consumer Protection law, Public Procurement law.
Any applicant should meet the following requirements:
- Legal education with good understanding of national law (of the country you propose to cover) and its links with European law
- Language skills as native speaker of your country
- Fluent in English, mastering English legal terminology
- Systematic, analytical, timely and dedicated to the tasks which require the highest quality
Lawi works with translations from 25 European source languages into 5 target languages, i.e. English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. Both case digests and full text cases are translated, the latter on demand. Experienced legal translators should contact us
Interested candidates should send their application together with CV by e-mail to us.